Hotel Property: Certificate of Occupancy

Did you know that wayfinding signs are just as important as safety signs when it comes to your hotel guests? With that in mind, incorporating proper ADA compliant signs throughout your hotel will not only be important for the safety of your guests and employees, but also ensure you are following the guidelines highlighted in your certificate of occupancy.

For any hotel or lodging facility to be considered legal, you must obtain a certificate of occupancy from your state. While guidelines can differ from state to state, the general premise is the same. What comes with these regulations is often a list of ADA compliant signs that you hotel will be required to display. In order to operate legally, safely and effectively, understanding the basics of a certificate of occupancy can set you up for success.

Here’s what you need to know about a certificate of occupancy for your hotel:

  1. A Certificate of Occupancy
  2. When to Apply
  3. Hotel Specifications
  4. Finding Inspectors

A Certificate of Occupancy

Generally, a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) is required for residential, commercial, or hybrid properties: any building in which people live or work. Upon original renovations, a hotel must obtain a CO in order to open and function legally. The case is the same after any new construction or renovation projects.

A certificate of occupancy proves that your hotel property can legally be used for lodging. Additionally, these certificates indicate that your hotel or lodging facility meets all state regulated building codes and is safe to stay and work in. A CO will also prove that you’ve complied with and passed every inspection.

When to Apply

Certificates of occupancy are more complex than most other permits, but absolutely necessary to legally run your establishment. Before applying and obtaining a certificate of occupancy, your facility will need to undergo various inspections. You will be unable to obtain a CO until your property is completely ready for functional operation. However, you should stay on top of the certification process, ensuring that you adhere to proper inspections and timelines.

Typically, you do not need a CO in order to move furniture into your hotel, but the gas and water lines connected to your facility will need to be inspected before any appliances can be hooked up to them.

It is imperative that you begin planning for this certification and communicating with your local government from the very beginning of your project. As a result, you will get each inspection done as soon as possible, allow yourself time to make any necessary changes, avoid project delays, and obtain your CO in time for a functional opening.

Visit Identity Group and shop from our premium ADA compliant hotel sign selection. 

Hotel Specifications

When it comes to a hotel or lodging facility, there will be specific inspections and requirements needed for a Certificate of Occupancy. You must pass inspections for your electrical system, plumbing system, fire safety, HVAC system, mechanical system, and general building inspections.

A failing inspection can be fixed by making the necessary changes, but you may experience delays in your overall construction project, your hotel grand opening and you may have to pay the inspection fee again.

Property Sign Requirements

Integrating the right sign solutions for your hotel is crucial in order to keep your guests safe and to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy for your lodging facility. In the event that your hotel does not incorporate all the signs required by your state guidelines, you might be in trouble.

IDG can provide a Wayfinding Package showing pictures of signs, their locations, and proof of order. All signs comply with the national Fire Code and the Americans with Disabilities Act. In addition, our team maintains a database of codes encountered in the past in local and state areas. These signs are included in that state/area’s packages to help ensure that your property is ready to open.

Certificate of Occupancy sign requirements for your hotel: 

  • Room Numbers
  • Guestroom Evacuations
  • Restroom IDs
  • Amenity IDs (Meeting Rooms, Fitness Center, Pool, etc.)
  • Stair IDs
  • Rooms that might cause a fire – IT, Electrical, Mechanical, Boiler Room, Elevator Equipment
  • Sign Requirements may differ depending on your state
  • For more information on the requirements of your lodging facilities, visit this ADA Checklist for Hotel or Lodging Facilities.

Finding Inspectors

Each city will have their own Certificate of Occupancy standards and regulations. In order to become a legal, fully functioning hotel, you will need to apply for a CO with your local government. After you’ve applied, they will hire and send inspectors for any area that is required by your state. It is the hotel owner’s responsibility to obtain the CO before the establishment is opened and therefore responsible for paying any fines.

Depending on your local government’s processes and procedures, you can be sued, receive a fine, or both in the case that you do not obtain a CO in time. Fines accrue for each day that a property is operated without a CO, so the longer you are functioning without one, the larger your fines may become.

Find Hotel Required Signs with Identity Group

When it comes to your hotel employees and guests, properly defending them against hazards should be a top priority. With the proper ADA compliant signs, you can protect your guests on your facilities and effectively identify specific things throughout your lodging facilities.

Identity Group offers a variety of hotel signs for all types of safety needs. Choose from our available stock of signs or go the extra mile and create custom options for your business.

Visit Identity Group today to find the perfect hotel safety door signage solutions for your business.