Director of Software Engineering
Location: Nashville, TN
Introduction to IdG:
It’s nice to meet you! We’ve probably already met once or twice. Identity Group (IdG) is a 65-year-old American manufacturing company that provides signs, visual décor, and office products for thousands of brands, spaces and individuals. From Marriott Hotels to the new Salesforce Tower in downtown San Francisco, we create signage and visual decor solutions that fill these spaces from top to bottom. And we don’t stop there. We pump out everything from business cards to stamps and note cards, too. With 285,000 square feet of manufacturing space across six campuses, we’re one-half creative thinkers and one-half mad scientists. We take a lot of pride in helping all our customers make a lasting impression.
Our Team Mission:
IdG has created a brand-new eCommerce and Digital Technology division. Our team is responsible for designing, building and marketing the IdG sub-brands and platforms from the ground up.
You Should Apply If:
• Creating something from scratch excites you.
• You live a “We” vs. “Me” mindset.
• Big projects with big outcomes motivate you.
• Others would describe you as high-energy.
• You ask “why” and question the status quo.
• Always doing the right thing is of the utmost importance to you.
• You understand good work takes time, but speed also wins.
• Fun is a part of your every day.
• You are a self-proclaimed lifelong learner.
• Always exceeding expectations is your thing.
About Your Role:
In partnership with the IdG Product Management Team, the Director of Software Engineering for the eCommerce product line will provide technical leadership, vision, direction, and mentoring for the IDG software developer team. This individual will manage the engineering team which designs, develops, and supports the IDG eCommerce Platforms to meet business requirements for a diverse set of target markets. The IDG Director of Software Engineering will deliver platform and technology upgrade roadmaps. Additionally, the Director will provide resource planning and project scheduling using Agile software development methodologies. Some light travel is required.
- Meets business needs by managing the activities of developers to ensure they are consistently delivering quality solutions on-time, within budget, and scope.
- Work with IdG Product Management to refine business processes and project requirements.
- Actively drive the software development lifecycle from requirements analysis, feasibility estimates, design, code, documentation, testing, implementation, and support.
- Developing project plans, resource planning, scheduling and managing development timelines.
- Building and managing the software team and oversee the development processes using industry best practices.
- Responsible for setting coding standards, design reviews, code reviews, and mentoring the software development team.
- Responsible for QA and DevOps teams to support change management processes to manage software releases, application patching and changes to production configurations.
- Manage multiple tasks and responsibilities in high-pressure environments; excelling at pinpointing and resolving problems in early project stages as well as production.
- Oversight and management of team expenses and budget planning.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline (CS, EE, Math, Physics, etc.) or equivalent experience with 15+ years of overall experience in the tech industry.
- Minimum of 9 years of direct web applications experience using web/micro services and databases (REST/JSON/XML/HTML/SQL/NOSQL).
- Minimum 5 years of experience in managing and leading software and Dev/Ops teams working across multiple global regions and time zones.
• A great planner, coder, and creator who can bounce back and forth between creative brands to traditional brands.
• Loves to write stories and generate healthy interactions to accelerate development.
• A great communicator and team player who appreciates clear direction and collaborates well.
• Loves to help create, manage, deploy and optimize web-facing eCommerce properties.
• Someone who enjoys planning and developing and feels comfortable using tools/apps enabling customers to build it themselves with iPhone and apps.
• Has experience building world-class eCommerce websites.
• Familiar with Agile best practices across all platforms and coding best practices.
• Likes to do research and is excited about designing architecture that sets our brands apart from competitors. We operate in highly competitive markets so it takes creativity, cleverness, and outside-the-box thinking to own this work well.
• Can report on Sprint performance and can make clear recommendations on what’s working, what’s not working, opportunities and improvements.
• Passionate about Agile development best practices.
Why IDG is a great place to work:
• Generous benefits package including medical, dental, 401K with % matching, paid vacation, supplemental life insurance, paid vacation and more.
• Flexible working schedule combining on-site and home-based working hours.
• Supportive culture that operates by the Golden Rule and values a family first.
Who you’ll be working with:
You should know that our team has been carefully curated from the ground up. We’ve been patient in finding the best people in Nashville to help grow our eCommerce efforts into a multimillion-dollar sales channel. You’ll report directly to the Chief Information Officer.
What we need from you:
• Along with your resume…
• Provide a portfolio of past sites and/or code examples from your awesome work in the past.
• Two stellar references from the cool team members you’ve had the pleasure to create with along your journey.
Please email Misti Copley (email@example.com) a zip folder of all your application materials. Thanks!